Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Derek's Birthday

So it was Derek's birthday on Monday- the man is back to a youthful three syllables at twenty-eight years old. He was king of the world for a day- even though he was studying for a test Tuesday morning. He picked his meals for the day: German pancakes with apple pie filling for breakfast, banana bread and smoothies for lunch (I learned that it's highly advisable to use the black bananas. Otherwise... it's just weird. It turned out white and a little mushy and way too banana-flavored. 'Course, I think I may not have cooked it quite long enough. But still.), and "spider pizza" for dinner. (This one turned out even better than the one pictured, but since I didn't take a picture this time, this is what you get.) Then of course, the usual as far as cakes go: Dark Chocolate with chocolate pudding "frosting".

Well, ok, maybe picking your meals for the day doesn't really make you king for a day. But I did give him extra back and head scratches (he's a very itchy guy) and back rubs. As for gifts, it was somewhat anti-climactic. Thanks to my dad and Ethan and Amiee (youngest siblings), he got a little pre-birthday something (a cd about Joseph Smith by Truman Madsen and some delicious snacks. He also hoardes snacks.). Thanks to Zan he got a weird rose card- which he then opened to read, "Ok, honestly, who cares what the card looks like? Just take your cash and be glad I remembered." He loved it.

So what did I get him? Well, first of all, we gave him a bag of fun-sized Snickers, some dark chocolate Cadbury bars and some other gourmet dark chocolate squares. Then I followed this up with a world map. Which begs a background story. We once had a world map. A lovely world map. It was mounted on this styrofoam-type mounting stuff (yeah, no idea what, can you tell?) and it was wonderful. Well, last year I started playing around with antiquing altered books and other things and thought it would be a good idea to try that on the map. Well, shoe polish did NOT work on this stuff. I ruined probably a good quarter of the map with it. About a month ago I started trying to mask the damage and used a stain- which worked perfectly on everything I hadn't already ruined, but did nothing for the damaged portion. So it's already ruined. What can it hurt? I took a match to the corner.

Well, I guess it looks... alright. But mostly weird. Not like a cool display piece. More like a weird burnt map that would need explaining anytime anyone looked at it. So I got him a new one. Frankly, I like this one better anyway.

Finally, I got him a new Lord of the Rings sword. He already has Anduril, the sword of Aragorn, which he reforged from the shards of Narsil; as well as the sword of the Witchking. I got him Herugrim, the sword of King Theodrin. Unfortunately, the sword didn't arrive until today, so it missed the actual birthday. In any case, he opened his package today and loved the sword. Here he is, weilding his new toy:




Meanwhile... what do you think was happening to the packing peanuts?







They had a ball. And then we spent at least 1 1/2 hours cleaning up the mess. It was atrocious. But I did figure out that you can eliminate the annoying static cling by spraying them with water. Amazing.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Breta said...

i love you guys

Royce said...

Awesome sounds like you have been having a ball. sleeping on the job, robbing in the spare time and have Avril explain your choices to you. all sounds hilarious. It's a great thing that you can laugh about it and move on.Glad Derek had a good Bday

thelivesofthebradyfamily said...

Happy birthday to Derek!

We decided to go private with our blog, so if you can give me your email address, I can send you the invite! monicachecketts@hotmail.com