Monday, October 8, 2007

New Skill Acquisition: Oven Installation

Yes, that's right, folks, I'm your new handy-dandy oven installer! Who knew unplugging a horrible oven outlet thing (k, so I'm lacking on the terminology, but I have the method down!) would be so involved?!

First things first: why and where did we get a new oven?
1) Why: because our old oven is a lovely mustard color, which says to me, along with the film of oil covering the body of the oven and the worn look of everything else, that this oven was manufactured circa 1977. I have friends that were born that year. I myself would be about 6 years younger than that. I say '77 because that's when the house was built, and I don't think it's been replaced. Ever. Once it caught fire. Also, we want to replace our fridge (I'm positive the money we pay for the extra energy it's using could go to the payments for a new fridge) and were worried about having to spend a couple hundred to replace the oven, too. (Doesn't make sense? Keep reading.)

2) Where: our neighbors around the corner were having a garage sale. Circumstances surrounding the sale of the oven are these: Three months ago previous owner bought new appliances for house. New neighbors wanted stainless steel. Previous owner knew they weren't going to keep appliances and bought back new fridge (crap! We needed that!). New neighbors decided to try and sell oven at garage sale or in the paper, asking $75 at sale, $100 in paper. Mentioned we were poor med students, found out he was a resident. New neighbors say, "hey, we know what it's like being poor, we'll give it to you for $50!"
Bottom line: 3 month old, barely used oven for $50! Woohoo!

So we get a new oven. Derek goes over there tonight and borrows their dolly, walking it around the corner. I help him lift it into the house (I nearly died in an oven-crushing accident) and into the kitchen. He told me that he would finish the heavy lifting if I'd take care of the plug. Neither of us knew how involved that would be. Brief synopsis: remove panel, unscrew three bolts to remove three wires, remove whole plug, reinsert on other oven, screw bolts back in, replace panels. Can I just mention that it probably literally took me 45 minutes just to do the screwing and unscrewing? Those things were rusted good. Derek pushed it back to the wall (well, halfway. He got bored halfway through and said I could finish it once I put the panel back on. What a darling.) Then he and I removed the horrible old oven from the kitchen to the garage and I've been looking up places that will pick it up to recycle! Anyway, the thing is gorgeous compared to our old one. I hope we can find a decent deal on a fridge, since that's what we really need...
You may not be able to see it, but note that the guard on the bottom of the fridge has fallen off, exposing who-knows-what kind of disgusting, dangerous things for babies and puppies to find, play with and insert into little mouths...

6 comments:

The Wilkins' said...

Score! That's a great deal! Looks beautiful! PS My parents had a yellow fridge for over 30 years. The last 5+ years it was in the garage, but it still worked! The finally parted with it a few years ago. I'll keep my eyes out for a fridge bargain!

Shuldberg said...

Awesome deal!! I understand needed the upgrade--one of the first things we did after we moved in here! Hey, thanks for the help on my blog....much appreciated!

jayne said...

Which residents? Owens, Lowes, or Pattons? They all live right by you. Just curious. Good luck with the fridge hunting!

The Posse said...

Owens... they seem really cool. And Denise lives right across from me... what's her last name? Patton?

The Gowdy Family said...

Love the new oven! What a great deal. We replaced our old disgusting fridge when we got here, so I totally understand the ecstacy that comes with a brand new appliance! Happy baking!

Unknown said...

YEA! Love your shnazzy new oven!