Monday, April 16, 2007

Nauvoo

This Saturday Derek and I went to the temple for the first time in far too long. It was our first time to the Nauvoo temple (which is the temple district we are in). I can hardly describe how grateful I was to be there. I think lacking something so vitally important for so long really makes one appreciate it all the more. From the minute I walked up the steps and in the door, I was on the verge of tears. I wept more than once while we were there.
Now, I don't know if the reason was because it had been so long since we'd been to the temple in general and it was just a relief to go, or if it was the Nauvoo temple itself, but I couldn't stop thanking the Lord for the unbelievably precious blessing of the restored gospel, of the temples and their ordinances and of Christ Himself and His Atonement.

As I gazed around at the beautiful, elegant, simple decor, the lovely art on the walls and just the peaceful, worthy architecture I was moved to tears a number of times. It was just such a relief to be able to be in such a heavenly, peaceful place, apart from the cares of the world. I don't know if I'm simply more aware of the distinction or if I've been placed in more trying circumstances lately or if the world and the Church are growing farther and farther apart so much that I can see it, but in any case it was so refreshing to go and feel the Spirit and reflect on the gospel and blessings offered us.

The funny thing is, we weren't able to do a session--- we arrived just a little before it started and Derek realized he'd left his recommend home. By the time we got it sorted out, the session had already started. Due to babysitting circumstances, we didn't have time to wait for the next one (they're hourly), so we opted to do some sealings. Others seemed concerned that we hadn't been able to do a session, but I was more than happy with what we were able to do. What a precious reminder of the covenants we made to each other and to our God! My love and appreciation for Derek only deepened in the knowledge that we are both worthy in God's eyes.


It was exactly the refresher I'd been needing for the past few weeks. I feel sustained and strengthened. Thank God for His temples!

1 comments:

Melody said...

You said it sister!