Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Cereal Party

I took the girls in for immunizations and Xandri in for her four month check-up a week ago. While she is developmentally precisely where she should be, she's not gaining appropriate weight. In fact, the doctor was pretty concerned about it. We evaluated the possible causes (she spits up more than Avril ever did, she eats every 3-4 hours and she sleeps through the night 8-9 hours). The doctor prescribed a medication for her to take to help her with spitting up and suggested I start her on solids.

I filled the prescription, but haven't used it. I decided to feed her on a more consistent three hour schedule first to see the result. I think she just needed to eat more frequently, because she's not throwing up nearly as much. Meanwhile, I also only started her on rice cereal today. No reason, I'm just forgetful. As you can see, Xandri is a little skeptical of this so-called "cereal".

Avril, on the other hand, is indeed having a "cereal party". So very aptly named. She continually asked for more and more cereal party. I coaxed Xandri into probably about three bites total. She remains unimpressed.

Either way I'm hoping that when I take her into the doctor next week that we'll see some weight gain. I worry that I'm so busy trying not to forget who I am, losing myself as a wife and mother like so many have that I'm going too far the other way and trying to keep too many personal hobbies at the expense of my kids. What a wake-up call to realign my priorities!

0 comments: