Sunday, April 29, 2007

Five Glorious Years

So, Derek and I celebrated our fifth anniversary last weekend. Yeah, I know, I lost my $20, too. Who knew, right? But, wow, what an amazing weekend! We don't usually do a date night because of various reasons (mostly scheduling a sitter around Derek's random studying habits), so it was really refreshing to be able to spend this time together. So a big thanks to Katherine for the overnight sitting and to Melody... and maybe Paul... for babysitting in the morning.

Our lovely night began at the Thousand Hills Lodge for our evening repast...

Now, I'll be honest. It was subpar. I was expecting a little more. First of all, the ambiance was certainly lacking. There was little to no decor, even though they had an amazing view over-looking the lake. Furthermore, their menu was limited and few things on it appealed to me. The food wasn't incredible, but it was good. The steamed broccoli was, perhaps, the best steamed broccoli I've ever had, though. I sent my compliments to the chef on it. I hope he wasn't offended that it was limited to the broccoli...

We also brought Xandri along for dinner (since I'm still nursing her it seemed like it would be the best idea just to have her there for the night). In retrospect, we should have just gone to our favorite restaurant and left her home with the sitter, picking her up right before we went to the cabin.

After dinner, we went back to the cabin where I had set up the OTM table (non-med students read: massage table) and treated each other to some delicious massages. I had also decorated the room a little with candles, music, LOTS of pillows and the like to set the mood (thanks again Melody for your lovely furnishings in that department). Things started getting a little amorous when we started kissing, but there's nothing like two big eyes looking at you from over on the other bed to kill the mood. It'll make you laugh, but you can't quite get back to making out until those big eyes go to sleep.

I had expected the rooms to be cramped, the decor outdated and the beds uncomfortable, much like a Budget Inn or something. So I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they were actually quite roomy and the beds and bedclothing were indeed rather comfortable. Unfortunately, I woke the next morning with a bit of a migraine. Derek offered to take Xandri into our morning sitter (again, thanks Mel!), pick up some breakfast and let me sleep it off. When he returned an hour later, I was ready to rock and roll.

So now... the fun part. For the reader anyway... We went and rented a couple kayaks for about 1 1/2 hours and paddled around the lake. It was so refreshing to be outside in the amazing weather, using our bodies (we both looked down on the lazy people reliant on motors) to propel our boats through the water and just enjoying each other and nature in general. (Lucky for us, they gave us half off the rental price for being students and renting in the morning. Love it.) We found a great little cove with a swim dock in it, tied up the kayaks and laid out for a while.

Now, you may think this was the end of our anniversary celebrations. And in all fairness, it could have been enough. But not for me! I wanted to make the ACTUAL day special. We're usually moving across the country on our anniversary and I can't recall for sure if THE day has ever really been celebrated before. SO. Calling on the brilliant planning strategies and expertise of my friend Eugena, I orchestrated a meal that I think I can claim was not only the best meal I've ever made, but the best meal either of us have ever eaten (barring the outrageously expensive and amazing meals we had at two upscale French restaurants in Georgia...).

Once again, Melody came through with some of her cool decor and I was able to once again, set the mood for dinner. Perfectly planned out and perfectly executed, all the food was ready at the same time and warm at the same time! Yeah, I didn't know it was possible either. Derek didn't actually believe that I made the focaccia bread or the dessert, a panne cotta with fresh strawberries and blackberries (which I totally forgot to take a picture of... crap!). I had to tell him three times on each of them that I did.

Anyway, this is what was on the menu: salmon al cacciatore, grilled portobello, red onions and bell peppers, rosemary and basil focaccia breads, and panne cotta. My mouth is watering even now. I never knew what I had in me. All in all, it was a fitting celebration for five glorious years. I think I may have convinced him to stick around for another five. I know his magic hands & the OTM table convinced me.

5 comments:

Melody said...

I would stay married to you if I were the lucky one. :) You're awesome. Wish I could have had just a nibble of that meal... well, while I'm wishing, why don't a go for a whole plateful? Yum. And I have to admit, you make my decor look good. :)

Ashley said...

That is so cute--totally gives me motivation to make occassions like that special.

Kyle said...

dang woman, you can cook up screamin' meal. i'm tired just thinking about it. and hungry.

Jill said...

WOW I am impressed!!!

Wilsons said...

I don't even like seafood and my mouth was watering! You did an amazing job on younr celebration and Melody, as usual, cool decorations!