Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter


So here are the fruits of my first egg-dying experience here in Kirksville.

Well, ok, to be more correct, they are the fruits of my friend's at my first egg-dying experience. She did a good job, didn't she?! No, I actually don't have a picture of my own. I "borrowed" this one from sweet Melody's blog (maybe if I add in flattering adjectives she'll look past my thieving ways). Mine were pretty cool, too, I think. Not this cool, but yes, cool. I love spring. I love Easter.

I also did my first "big" dinner-- yes, four couples complete with guests and children. It was one of the funnest Easters I've ever had (Ok, it probably is the funnest). Everyone brought delicious food, you know, deviled eggs, dinner rolls, cakes, salad. Plus I made my first ham (ok, I stuck a pre-cooked ham in the oven. It was a little too salty if you ask me. Maybe if I glaze it next time it'll turn out better.), funeral potatoes and a new asparagus dish. I'm still deciding if I liked it. I think the vinaigrette was a little too strong and I over-cooked it a little. But it still turned out all right.

("You can't have that! That's a coconut cake!"~Agnus Skinner, The Simpsons, somewhere in Season 8)

We ended up with a little Easter egg hunt for the four kids who were mobile (only two of them probably really appreciated it), which was a lot of fun to watch-- especially when the two oldest, one being Avril of course, would snatch eggs away from the babies who are just crawling or walking.

Either way, it was great fun with great friends. I love developing these new "domestic" talents-- like hosting dinners and celebrations. I'm not honestly very good yet, but I am getting better. I didn't grow up in a "hosting" home, so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants. (Where does that term come from?!) So with practice, hopefully parties at my house will become the most coveted gatherings and people will eventually rave over getting invites to our get-togethers!
I'll keep practicing. I'll get there.

3 comments:

Melody said...

I thought your asparagus was awesome and that's saying something since I never eat the stuff. Your party was SUPER classy.
Note to other readers: Sheen didn't mention that she gave out darling fresh plants and boxes of chocolates to her guests. Yes she is trying to become the coveted party thrower, and you better believe that I want evites even when I am in MI... keep them coming girl...

Melody said...

PS. Nice pics, whoever took these really has some talent. :)

Sheen said...

I'm glad you really liked the asparagus. I was hoping you weren't just patronizing me... "Oh, yeah, Sheen, it really... tastes... great..."

You'll be getting the evites.

Just as long as I can keep filching your pictures, you'll be getting the evites...