Monday, July 9, 2012

New York, New York! Part the Second

So then that brings us to Friday, wedding day. I started off my day with a grueling new workout called S.L.T. led by the harsh (yet sexy) taskmistress, Natalie Uhling, who also works as an UnderArmor model. I can't even describe what it all entails, so if you're interested or curious, just check out the link. 

All I know is that I've never actually been able to see myself shake so visibly in the mirror on the other side of the room. 

After S.L.T., I went back to the hotel to get ready for the day. Camas had sweetly offered to have our hair and makeup professionally done, so I got there early. Apparently everything had gone wrong already that morning. Wrong flowers, wrong gift cookies, second hairstylist no-show, and then the overcast, threatening clouds, soon to be rain. 

But we already know how that story ended. 

Then the reception was perfect. Lovely top story reception room and roof garden in Soho, beautiful despite the occasional rain and threatening clouds. Enjoyable company, delectable hors d'oeuvres, refreshing libations. Frank Sinatra crooning in the background. So very tastefully done.

I loved the guest sign in book. A beautiful coffee table book full of stunning photographs. Pick a page and write a note. 

The cake was divine. Both the cheesecake and the chocolate. 
Then they did a little gift presentation to Matthias' kids, symbolic of how they were joining all together as a family. It was very sweet. The look on his son's face in particular I will never forget. The sweetest smile as he looked at all their pictures in the frame. 

Post reception Jaime and I, the honorary maids of honor (yes, maids- I defy you to say otherwise), Jared & Derek, Camas' parents & Bradley all helped clean up. Dropped off the various leftover food items at their new apartment & after salivating for some minutes over the extra cakes in the fridge, finally decided to head out to finish off the night in style. Found a sushi place that was still open at 11pm. Lots of great conversation, reminiscing, discussing, plenty of laughter and all around some good bonding with some truly fun people. 

Sleep: 3am.

Awake: 12:30pm.

Now somehow we're going to cram all the rest of our sightseeing into the last half of Saturday. Time to prioritize. Grabbed the camera and headed to the Top of the Rock. We opted for a stroll through Central Park on the way there and snagged some food from a Shishkebab or Halal truck before going in. Pretty tasty.

First sight to greet our eyes was this:


The poor dears really just need a beach. Nothing quite like this level of wishful thinking to really appreciate what I got, eh?

Meanwhile, I was enjoying the juxtaposition of God's creations and man's.



Also, there were turtles in the water.



Finally made it over to the Top of the Rock. 1/2 price for military, BOOYAH!

Absolutely stunning views of the city. 


Next stop, The Meatball Shop in Chelsea with the cousins!

First, though, we had to find our way and bumbled into Grand Central Station, which I had wanted to see but forgot to do on purpose.


Sorry guys, we actually did have a picture where we all had our camera faces on, but I liked this one better, more fun and personality here. And since it's my blog, it's my say. 


After some great conversation and delicious meatballs (served up in at least 6 different ways that I noticed), we speed walked over to Amorino's for some sinfully delicious gelato- I think Derek got mango but all I could concentrate on was my fantabulous dark chocolate nutella gelato... omnomNOM!

From there, booked it on over to the port for our evening cruise (which I kept thinking, "Wait, if the SUNSET cruise doesn't leave till 9pm won't we miss the sunset?" And then I remembered I wasn't in Hawai'i anymore where the sun never sets any later than like 7:30.) Biggest bummer was our camera died by then. The Statue of Liberty is absolutely gorgeous at night, though, I will tell you that. The city itself is beautiful all lit up, the lights reflecting on the water...

We made it over the Chinatown and Little Italy just as they were shutting down for the night, but managed to snag a few last minuted deals from some indulgent shopkeepers all the same.

All in all, New York was fantastic. We made it on our subway, train and plane all on schedule and parted ways in Phoenix so Derek could make it back to work for Monday and I could make it to my dad and Shelley's wedding Monday.

On a side note... that was one of the hardest splits for me. Watching him get on that plane to go back home- to our kids, to my Max, to Hawai'i... I felt like my heart left with him. I wanted nothing more than to bag it all and go with him. But a quick little prayer left peace in my heart about the upcoming flights & experiences left in my own trip and although I still missed everyone terribly, I was able to go on and enjoy the rest of the trip.
Blog to follow. 

1 comments:

Camas said...

I love this part: "The poor dears really just need a beach." It's true. You can take a train to a beach and get there in a little less than an hour. But the closest beaches are super crowded and the water is freezing cold and seaweed-y. Never take Hawaii for granted!