Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dad & Shelley Get Hitched

So we left off last time, with Derek getting on a jet plane to go home without me while I went on to my dad's wedding.

Although the parting was difficult initially, I was comforted and left with a feeling of peace that allowed to look forward to and enjoy the rest of my journey. 

I'm so glad I was able to go. It was wonderful to see everyone- my friend Natalie picked me up from the airport and we hung out briefly that evening, catching up and enjoying each other's company. She then dropped me off at Derek's grandparents' house where I was immediately made to feel loved and welcome, I felt, as always, right at home there. I miss them already just thinking about it!

We caught up for a bit, but it was late and we were all tired so I crashed pretty quickly but made sure to set my alarm so I would have time to leave for the wedding by 8:00. Of course the travel and the late nights and the jet lag caught up with me though and I slept through (or "snoozed" through) my alarm. Thankfully Grandma Zickgraf had an eye on the time and listened for me- not hearing me she sweetly took it upon herself to wake me!

After a quick breakfast, I headed out and tried to remember my way up to Provo from Salem on the backroads. All things considered it didn't go too terribly badly. I got to the temple on time and when in to a near-on family reunion. Everyone was waiting inside, so in hushed voices we said our hellos and made our reacquainted ourselves. I was so happy to see a few familiar faces from my childhood ward and see the love and support my dad has at home. 

The sealing was beautiful. My dad and Shelley looked so happy together and I'm so grateful I was able to be a part of it. It was definitely an emotional experience for me.

I'm excited to get to know Shelley more personally, as well as her kids. I mean, wow, five more siblings in a matter of a few minutes? That's impressive. And daunting! I was delighted to meet them all, as well as some of their new spouses (this was the FOURTH wedding for Shelley and her kids in the past year! And when I say that, I mean her three oldest kids got married, not that she's been married four times in the past year. Just to clear up any confusion that may have caused.)

And of course I was more than thrilled to catch up with my own siblings- I mean who wouldn't love to talk to this face?!


These faces... well, I'm torn between the adjectives "entertaining" and "terrifying". And I mean that in the best way possible. 


It was so good to see my dad's family and catch up with them and hear about their own families as well. The saddest part was the whirlwind aspect of it all! We had so little time to catch up, I'm grateful Denise and Grandma will be coming with Dad in August for Avril's baptism. 


Shelley-- are you SURE you're ready for this crew? We're excited to have you, but I don't thinking you know what you're getting into! ;)
Oh and hey! There's Nic and Ethan in a picture! I wasn't sure I had any of Ethan, he slunk away halfway thru pictures. I'm pretty sure Nic woulda if he coulda, too, but I was his ride- sucker.  


I miss you, Amiee! I really wish we'd had more girl time together, it simply wasn't enough!
I could not BELIEVE how grown UP this girl looked when I saw her at the temple! Her hair, her dress, her jewelry... dang, girl. I'm still reeling a bit from the shock of it. Still my little sister, but no longer the baby, that's for sure.


It was a delight to meet Shelley's parents as well, they were so pleasant and charming. She just makes such a beautiful, classy, elegant bride. She carries herself with such confidence and you can see her inner light. As I said before, I look forward to getting to know this lovely lady!


Love you Grandma! It was wonderful to see you. I love this picture.


(Amiee, we need more of these.)


The newly-minted brothers. Well, except Ethan. This is the part where he ditched.  


And the women of the family... we're a pretty good-lookin' crew I'd say. 



We love you, Dad! Congratulations on this big step in your life! May you treasure each other always.


Afterward we got to catch up with everyone a bit more over dinner at Olive Garden, Chelsea and Reed serenaded them on the ukulele with a couple of songs, one of which was a personal favorite of mine. Aren't they simply gorgeous together?!

I also got to know Denise's daughter Aspyn a bit- she is a firecracker! She had us cracking up all over the place, good luck with that girl Denise! She's got boatloads of personality!

After the festivities and the bittersweet goodbyes, I drove back "home" to Grandma and Grandpa Zickgraf's house to pack up for the trip back. I wish I could have stayed longer just to catch up with them (and everyone); my time there was precious, more so for its brevity. 

Natalie once again hooked me up with a ride (thank you for driving me all over Utah girly!) and we went out for frozen yogurt before she dropped me off at my aunt and uncle's house for the night. Thank you Robert and Debbe for your hospitality as well! 


I felt so loved and cared for on this trip and I am so grateful for the many, many friends and family that I have out there. I look forward to the next time we meet in our many walks of life and think of you all with fondness until then. 

1 comments:

Camas said...

Shelley is such a beautiful, classy lady! Congrats to your dad and Shelley!