Monday, October 3, 2011

Thoughtful Avril

We got home from school on a particularly hot day last week to find our handyman hard at work touching up the chipped paint on the carport. Avril was immediately fascinated and hung out watching him on the shaded side of the house, asking him questions and just generally observing the work. 

I went on inside and helped Xandri get started on her homework and started puttering around tidying or doing whatever thing needed doing when Avril came back inside. I glanced out and saw that the handyman had moved around to the non-shaded side of the house. A moment later Avril slipped back outside, new umbrella in hand. I watched as she opened it up and wandered around the rock garden for a minute. She seemed to be trying to move around to stand on the wall near him, but I wasn't certain. She wasn't satisfied with her position and soon came back out of the rock garden. I had my suspicions about what she had up her sweet little sleeve, but I waited and watched it play out. 

Sure enough, she moved down and stood right next to him:


As he moved, so did she to accommodate his work and tried her hardest to give him the most shade possible. She stood there with him the entire time he worked and helped him by showing him around as well. Before he left, he thanked me for my daughter's help.

You know, as far as working as a stay-at-home-mom goes, I might not make much. (Anything.) But the benefits are worth far more than any salary I could be earning elsewhere. 

And the paydays are far sweeter.

I am so grateful to have this thoughtful, sweet little girl in my life, innocently teaching me what service really is. I love you, Avril.

3 comments:

Michelle Hepworth said...

She is a sweetheart! Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

That is a really cute story. I totally agree with the stay at home mom thing. By far the most rewarding thing I've ever done.

Camas said...

How sweet! She's so gutsy, too!