Friday, September 30, 2011

Daddy's Cars

For those who aren't aware, Derek collects things. One of the things he collects is cars. Hot Wheels to be exact. Has for years. We once counted them when we first got married. Probably 2003 I think. He had over 3000 at that time. Any guesses on how many he has today? That's a good story problem. Eight years of collecting an average of 7 cars each time he goes to a store that sells Hot Wheels. Let's estimate that to be 3 times per month. 

21 cars per month.... 252 per year.... an additional 2016 cars since then? I think that might be a little low, actually. 

Anyway, point of this is, Derek likes his Hot Wheels. And what better legacy could a father give his son than a love of miniature die-cast cars? I can't think of a single one. So since Roman is two, turning three in a couple months- almost a man grown, really- Derek's natural thought was that he would be impressed with his car collection. 

He was right. Roman was so impressed that he can't keep his little boy hands off of Daddy's cars now. All day long after Daddy showed him his cars I would go into his room when it got quiet and find this:


At which point I would ask him in my most serious stern mommy voice where he got that car.

And he would very honestly explain that it was "Daddy's car, huh." And he just was going to "open it and see it."


At least 5 such cars suffered this fate that day.


I finally wised up and put his box of cars in the top of the closet. 

Not to worry, though, Roman found both Derek's other stashes that I hadn't noticed over the next couple of days and just "opened it to see. It's Daddy's car, huh."

3 comments:

Amy Jenks said...

This story sounds very familiar. :) Except, my husband collects everything Star Wars or Transformer. I thought the potato Head Spud Trooper, Darth Tater, R2DTot, and potato Leah were free game for Kayla (since Jeff actually opened those) when she was a toddler. Oh was I wrong. They are now kept in a high place where baby drool and little fingers can't reach. HAHAHA!

Unknown said...

I think almost everyone got hooked to Hot Wheels. Once I spotted a girly pink one and my mom bought it, with the help of my kiddie charms, of course. Hehe. I can imagine Derek having a huge stash of these miniature rides one day.

-Jolandi Kerstetter

Timmy Radloff said...

My cousin is hooked on these car miniatures too! He owns way too many!! I wonder if my aunt Lisa still buys him sets now that he's older… Anyway, that kid looks like he will ask for more of those cars in the long run.

Timmy Radloff