Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas: Gingerbread Fun

We (Xandri, Roman and I) got together with our friend Heather for some festive gingerbread decorating. I'll give you three guesses who decorated and who ate the decorations. 

It reminded me of when I was a kid and every year my mom would help us decorate gingerbread houses. Mostly what I remember is how awesome hers always turned out. They were so cool-looking and detailed I didn't ever WANT to break and eat them! I remember she'd even do a little mailbox and the windows would be all pretty and scrolly and even the eaves had perfect little icicles hanging from them.

Mine didn't exactly turn out like that. They were a lot more gloppy. So I tried to cover them up with candy. 

Heather gave it to us to take home and enjoy, so that night we decided to get down to business. 

Avril had no problem eating our creation:


And then we all dug in, leaving not much in our wake. It was pretty good, but here's where I put in a plug for my mom's gingerbread recipe-- sooo much better!


I loved decorating with the kids so much I thought it would be a great preschool activity for them. I found these graham crackers that were made of gingerbread for that purpose exactly and thought, "What could be more perfect?" So I rounded up what random candy we had around the house (not much, truth be told), made some icing and we went to work.


That look of intense concentration isn't just for placing the marshmallow just so. It's just as much to not EAT the marshmallow just yet.


Even though Avril is in school during preschool hours, she loves doing the activities the kids do. This one was certainly no exception and she dove right in with finesse. And appetite.

1 comments:

Amiee said...

aDORaBLE!!!