Sunday, September 5, 2010

Our New Home {set 2}

First to clear up some confusion: we didn't buy, we're renting. And although I would love to take credit for the landscaping, it preceded us.

Here's the yard we get to enjoy.

Roman loves the ample hose opportunities at varying intervals around the property. He takes full advantage of them whenever I'm not looking and usually winds up very happily soaking wet.
Caught you, kid!


Along one side of our house we have this wonderful clothesline that I've been putting to use to save on our electric bill. Along with this, please note some leaps I've made in forgoing some modern conveniences with this home and my resulting attitude shift:

1) Clothesline: Hanging my clothes is somewhat therapeutic. I enjoy it, I like saving the energy and using the sun's power, being part of my environment. I love the smell of hung laundry. Yes, it's a little stiff and rough hanging outside, but I don't find it to be a problem by the time I'm ready to wear or use whatever. And if it bothers me-- air fluff in the dryer for 5 min!

2) No AC: Yes, in Hawaii this can be a travesty. But you know, I had AC in Missouri and I was a Nazi about keeping the doors closed, the windows closed and not going outside for fear of sweating. Granted I'm covered with a light sheen of sweat most days, but now I enjoy our yard more fully, again I feel more part of my environment and I enjoy tradewinds through the jalousies (check out windows in interior pics). I don't mind the doors and windows being open and I don't feel like a prisoner in my own home at the mercy of the weather.

3) No dishwasher: Again with the savings on the electric bill. Plus, I always had to rinse my dishes first anyway, so now I just add soap and I'm done. This one is less fun hippy for me, but cutting energy costs out here is a big deal since utilities can be very spendy, so it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.


Our backyard goes up a hill and the owners have utilized the space well by terracing. They've left the terraces on the sides empty of concrete so we have plenty of garden space which we've filled with tomatoes, peppers, strawberries and herbs- as well as added a lemon tree and a clementine tree. Hopefully we'll add some delightful pineapple plants to the mix as well- although in a period of three years we'll only get three pineapples per plant!


The top of our backyard leads to a fenced "wilderness" that is technically Tripler property but is outside the Tripler fence since they didn't want to mess with the landscaping that had been done by the time they were putting the fence in. So lucky us- more garden space, outdoor entertaining and/or.....


A workshop for the kiddos!


Immediately behind our house is this wonderful covered patio with plenty of storage and geckos (see Gecko Hunters along the top of the wall). This also has a clothesline for those rainy days.


0 comments: