Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Surf Day

A couple weeks ago we took my new-to-me fish board out for a spin in Kailua. It was a great day for surf practice, with plenty of great waves and a lot of fun. No, I didn't get all the way up. Just to my knees-- but I caught a couple of waves in and it got me excited to keep it up and get better. My arms wore out before my interest did, though and I begrudgingly gave up my new toy to Derek to try out.


Meanwhile, however, the kids were back on shore with Daddy playing in the shelter our friends Jeremy and Monica had erected,


running barefoot along the beach, you know, just getting some exercise...


and sippin a cold one.


This guy finally decided (or so I gather from the pictures since I was out in the ocean at the time) that the girls were having a lot of fun and maybe he should check things out, too.


Yep, definitely fun.


The girls love the beach and have finally moved from complaining every time we go to getting excited when I say "beach". This is no doubt due to the fact that every time we go we somehow manage to miraculously (believe it or not) have FUN!


He got right to work and built a pyramid. Look how proud he is of his work!


Anyway, remember what I was saying about giving up my board to Derek? Yeah, well, wouldn't you know it-- he got up quite a few times on it. Show off. Sadly, I didn't get any really good pics since of course he decided to get up after I'd put the camera away (trust me having a camera handy at the beach would be a nice thing, but it wouldn't last long. The camera, that is.)


So while Daddy was out showing Mom up, Mom and Roman were back on the beach- too cool for school. Or maybe the sun was really bright and all he wanted was to hold the camera. But I'm not gonna tell you which.


The Thing.

Funny story. He got The Thing in a happy meal and was kind of scared of it at first- when you turn it on and shake it (it actually works best if you hit something with it. Not a fan.), he growls and says, "IIIIIIT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!"

Well, of course he adjusted to it really quickly (by the way, the fear relates to a Big Foot toy that was on display at Target that was huge and terrified him) and started hitting things with it. So he was sitting on my lap with it and what happened? He smacked me in the eye with it. Well, more on the brow bone, but you get the idea. And what did that stupid toy growl as a result?

"IIIIIT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!"

And now it's his new BFF.


I thought about posting the series of pics that led up to this one- she's such a ham! I love it. She kept posing and being silly with these big, happy grins, just eating up the attention. I hope that never changes.



And I hope I don't live to regret saying that.

Of course, Xandri had gotten all tuckered out, so when I got back on the beach, this is what I saw.


Too bad I didn't get a pic for you later, she was lying down wrapped in a towel and if you hadn't known she was there, you never would have guessed.

2 comments:

Amy Jenks said...

How fun! We were just in Cali for a month and had a BLAST at the beach. Missing it already.
I love the story about The Thing. We saw that Big Foot thing on display at Target. It was REALLY scary! A little boy was crying and shaking in fear.
For some reason my girls liked it. Jocelyn kept pushing the button and hated to leave him. (That's out of character for my girls. They normally HATE things like that.)

Amiee said...

Your kids look SO grown up!!! This is SO crazy!!! :)