Saturday, August 22, 2009

Scoping Out Seattle

Derek's in Tacoma (Ft. Lewis) doing an ER rotation with the Army... gone for 4 horrible weeks, but now just days away from being back! I flew out the second week of August to check out the area and pretty much see how much I'd like to live there. But more than that, I really just missed the guy (he'd been gone for a week. How am I gonna be an Army wife?!)

Anyway, we had a great time since he had every day off that I was there.

Our first order of business was of course to see the world's Tallest Totem Pole:



My new clearance AE outfit and a delightful hot cocoa:


No, Derek didn't mind... he was the one taking the pictures... I think he thought it was hot.


We took a ferry from Point Defiance in north Tacoma to Vashon Island, car included. Pretty rad.



My man....


Apparently, people love to build shelters out of driftwood on islands. Who knew? This is right next to a lighthouse, so it's not like someone's going to be stranded here...



This is what I do with driftwood.



This is what I imagine people do in their driftwood shelters once they're completed.


See? There's the lighthouse. I'm SOOO cool.... poser.







There were these beautiful little purple shells-- we only found a few. I think they're actually mussels with the brown stuff rubbed off. We collected quite a number of other shells as well. And you know, cold northern beaches that don't offer tanning options have never appealed to me really, but this made me love them. These beaches were beautiful.


Washed up jellyfish anyone? We were REALLY hungry....

No, but really, we went to this amazing place called The Crab Pot where they served up this amazing thing called a Sea Feast... If you're ever in Seattle- order it. NOW. Unless you don't like seafood. In which case, get out of Seattle.


Now this next section might be considered a little over the top for some of you... a little too crazy too handle. Now's your chance to turn back. Because I'll tell you right now: we went skinny dipping in the FREEZING cold Puget Sound. And then in order to dry off afterward, we naturally did some yoga. So I mean, it's your call if you want to keep scrolling down here or not, but you can't say I didn't warn you.



Ok, so for those of you who stuck with me, the blackberries in Washington are ridiculous! They are literally all over the place and amazingly delicious. I felt like a little black bear cub with my paws all covered in berry juice, but man... oh they were good. Free, fresh, juicy blackberries. Sign me UP!



Seattle skyline--- took this on our way to The Crab Pot!


We got halfway to Mt. Rainier (here) and turned back cause it was raining pretty hard. Of course by the time we got back to the base the sun was out and shining. Oh well, we did karaoke that night with a couple of friends, so that made up for it. (Well, except for the shameful rendition of Rich Girl I gave. My heartfelt apologies to Gwen and Eve for it. Don't worry girls, I'll make you proud yet.)


On Thursday a couple of the attendings invited us along with the other med students out sailing. It was my first experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very peaceful activity, sailing.


man I need to get my roots done...



Overall, a very fun trip. We really enjoyed it, each other and honestly I could see myself living there. Who knows, we'll see in December!

4 comments:

Breta said...

Tisk, tisk, tisk. I always liked Seattle's beaches. There's an awesome Carribean sandwich place near the Rose Garden. That probably doesn't tell you anything about where it is, but if you ever find it, DO NOT walk on by. Mmmmm...I'm hungry...!

Eugie said...

That is so impressive that you braved the pacific temp. It is freezing! I love this post, I love how free you guys are. It's refreshing.

Debbie said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! I was thinking the whole time that I know some old man was sitting in the woods with his little dog enjoying all of this.... I love that you still have your spuk. Now how do I get mine back! I think my kids sucked it out of me. Miss you!

Elsie said...

I love this post. You are so great.