Sunday, August 23, 2009

Best Birthday Presents... this one takes the cake!


So. I just turned 26 on the 19th. Very lowkey day. But thanks to Facebook, I had a constant stream of birthday well-wishers, as well as some very sweet friends and family members who called-- a couple of whom left some very... uh, musical... messages. (You know who you are. You're amazing.)

I woke up to a sweet text from Derek and told Avril it was my birthday. She looked at me for a minute, then asked how old I was. I told her and she looked a little harder and said,
"You don't look 26."

So I asked her how old I looked. She said,
"You look like you're still 25."

I think I'll keep her around.

In all honesty, the day proceeded fairly normally. Nothing too out of the ordinary, I took Roman in for his well-child check, cleaned the house, worked on the budget, went for a run, did whatever. Derek's doing an out rotation in Washington right now, so literally there was nothing to expect.

Except.

We had been texting all day and one of his texts made me wonder... we were talking about how much flights were to Washington, our little "pipe dream" to fly me up there for his days off... and I started wondering if it gave him the idea to fly down here. So I started trying to figure out if that was even possible. I came to the conclusion it probably wasn't, but there was a slim chance he might show up. As the night wore on, however, I realized it wasn't going to happen and that that was just my own little dream.

At 11pm he said he was just heading back to his hotel after grabbing dinner at the commissary. Then a couple minutes later, he asked how my birthday was and what the best birthday present I could have would be. I answered, "You. Here."

He said, "Go look out at the gate."
"Shut up."

So I went. And he wasn't there. No car. No sign of anything except some beautiful roses slipped through the chain links. I turned around, happy that he had them delivered, but a little disappointed that I had my hopes up... and he walked out of the trees and swept me into his arms.

Honestly, people, it was like a freaking romance novel, so we're going to just let the camera slowly pan over to the window and let the curtains blow...

Next day: the man scrubs my freaking kitchen, does my laundry and takes us all out shopping and for a delicious cheese run at Gossner's. (Aside: Aren't cows truly the most magical of animals? They just give and give and give and when they're done, they give a little more... Milk, cheese, ice cream, there's a meal, right there. End of aside.)

Then the NEXT day, instead of driving back so he can get some sleep before his night shift, he mows the lawn for me. I am so deliriously in love with this guy. And SO spoiled.

He spent his Saturday driving the 12 hours back to Ft. Lewis just in time to have about an hour before having to go work a 10 hour night shift. That's a killer birthday present, people. Why did he do it you ask?

He wanted to tell me Happy Birthday to my face on my birthday.

8 comments:

Cory Dee said...

All I can say is WOW!!! Happy Birthday to you! That must have been amazing. Derek is one thoughtful/romantic guy. I'm so glad he was able to make it out to see you. It's no fun having them gone so much, huh? Well, again, Happy late birthday beautiful lady!

Cory Dee said...

Dang! This is the second time I've done this! This is ANDREA NELSON...not her husband. I keep forgetting to log out of his email account. Sorry!

Amy Jenks said...

Dang! You are stinkin spoiled. :)
What a good hubby. I meant to send a b-day email to you as well. Man I feel bad. The girls and I were out in NM visiting family and I spaced it.
Sounds like you had a great few days.
P.S. Love the yoga poses - you guys have some serious cajones being out in the open like that - not that I could see, but you know... if I had been there maybe I would have while not wanting to... okay that's enough about that. hahaha!!! :)
Glad you have had some fun together. I don't look forward to all the out rotaions.

Eugie said...

You snagged a good guy! Happy Birthday! You still look like your are 25.

Anonymous said...

That is SO AWESOME!! You make me laugh... it warms my heart to know that I have friends who aren't afraid to be in semi-public areas in the buff and then take pictures of themselves and then blog about it. Ha, ha, ha!

Melody said...

That's a good husband. Way to show up Derek.
Happy B- day!
Ps. 26 is still young. .. way young.

Elsie said...

I love that your man came and surprised you on your birthday....isn't that like every girls dream? I mean honestly, how many girls dream of their love coming home and surprising them when they least expect it? Ahhh so dreamy :-)

DeGooyer Family said...

Happy Belated! What an awesome husband!!!