Friday, May 2, 2008

Six Crazy Years

So this is the day Derek and I were married six short years ago. I can't believe it's gone by so fast, but at the same time, six years seems a lifetime ago. I was such a different person then. We've both grown so much in that time. We've had so many experiences together, so many travels and adventures. On the one hand, six years is nothing, I'm sure if you're looking back from a lifetime together, or considering the eternity stretching ahead. But this married thing still feels relatively fresh to me, so six years is a really long time to think about, no matter how short it feels.

I was talking to some friends the other day about marriage, especially our view of eternal marriage. Anyway, one of my friends passed along a thought, something along the lines of, "For all of your existence prior to this moment, in our pre-earth life when we were spirits up through our life here on earth until we are sealed from eternity to our spouse, we are single spirits. In our quest to progress and become more like the Father, one major step is to marry another, our other half, and to become one flesh with them, like our Heavenly Father is with our Heavenly Mother. From this moment of sealing on, you are now half of a new entity and in theory, progressing toward becoming more like our heavenly parents."

It just puts things into such a great perspective. What a heavy and important decision we make when we marry. And more than that, what responsibility do we have to nurture and improve our marriages after that choice!

Needless to say, I'm feeling rather pensive at the moment. But I am so grateful for the man I married and the life we have together. My greatest fear is that in some way, at some point, I will forget this, or that I will begin to take things for granted and lose sight of what we have. My greatest fear, and this haunts me daily, is that I will do something or become someone that will destroy this family of mine. But at this moment, today, things are good. I'm not crazy- yet- and I'm still very aware of what I have to lose.

Happy Anniversary Derek. I love you!

3 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I remember our 6th and it was a good one. =) And what a great perspective.

Cindy Zickgraf said...

Hello Tasheena,
It is always refreshing to read your blog, you never put any fluff into it. It is true to what you feel and it is intriging to read. I wanted to say congrats on your pregancy and hope you get in a nap when you can, ye right! I hope you are feeling good in all respects, mind, body and spirit, especially body are you feeling sick? When are you guys moving out West? Are you guys going to make it to the 4th of July celebrations? Well, I hope you stay sane, because I am going to try to stay sane in the mean time to. If you didn't already know Adam and I are now out of the dark ages and have the internet in our home. So that means we had to get a blog too. zickgraffamily is the name. It is not is cool as yours, how did you get yours to look so cool? It must just take some time to learn the bloggin way. Well enough babble.
Take Care,
Cindy Zickgraf

Tif Sweeney said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!! :)