Friday, November 2, 2007

Xandri's First Word

Ok, I've put off deciding this, because it sounds like we're just the overeager parents saying, "Oh, wow, she said her first word!" over a word that could honestly be her just making sounds. But I really do think her first word is, "Hi." It's so cute when she says it, and I'm convinced that she says it largely in response to one of us saying "hi" first. She also says "yeah", but that one I'm not sure she really knows what she's saying. And finally, if "hi" isn't her first word, then "down" is.

Why "down"? Well, she hears it an awful lot-- the puppies are constantly jumping up to her highchair (what? They know it's a no-fail way to get delicious people food.), so we're constantly admonishing them, "Down!" The other day they were jumping up and I wasn't paying close attention, but suddenly Derek realized what she was saying: "Down! Down!" each time they jumped up.

How do I feel about this? My emotions are manifold. First, excited, like any mother would be to hear her little darling achieving this milestone. Secondly, proud- that seems like a pretty impressive first word to me-- no "dada", "mama", "ba-ba" or whatever. No, she's telling those puppies what to do-- decisively! Thirdly, a little surprised-- she's my baby! That's where she's going to stay. She's not a growing girl, she's the baby and she'll always be the baby! And finally, ... well, there is no fourth feeling, I just said manifold so it seemed like there should be at least four. We'll go with scared on this one, I guess. Yeah, that fits. Scared--- back to she's my baby!

4 comments:

Pattie said...

oh how cute

Andrea said...

That's so fun! I wonder what Natalie's first word will be? She says dadadada alllll day long....about everyone and everything, so it's not really her "first word." How exciting for you! Yet I can totally understand the other emotions you're experiencing. They grow up way too fast!

DeGooyer Family said...

"Down" was my first word - my parents said that everyone always wanted to hold me, but I always wanted down.

Melody said...

Manifold??? You are too cute! Impressive. She is really growing up. Walking and talking and barking orders all at once. You've got a spit fire independent girl on your hands. But what a sweet unassuming little presence she has. You would never imagine! :)