Thursday, April 19, 2012

People Who Get Hurt

"People who get hurt all over their body don't have to eat their dinner."

The other day Roman was rolling up the rug at the front door and getting crap all over the floor in the process. So I told him he needed to clean it up, meaning sweep up the mess.

Next thing I know, he's outside, crying. Hard. I go out to investigate and he's lying stomach-down on the sidewalk with the rug crumpled up underneath him. He's crying hard enough it's evident he's still trying to catch his breath and I'm nervous to move him- but then he gets up on his hands and knees and he crawls/I pull him into my lap while he cries, trying to catch his breath and tell me what happened. 

Poor kid had been trying to shake off the rug for me- while standing on the rock wall at the front of our house about 4 feet up from the sidewalk- and lost his balance and fell. 


Fortunately, all he wound up with was a scrape or two and a minor headache which faded pretty quickly. 


So at dinner that night, which was broccoli and cheese soup with rice and tomatoes- which I admit didn't look terribly appetizing but wound up being quite delicious with some s&p and Parmesan cheese- he wasn't terribly interested. In fact, he asked if it was leprechaun poop. So when informing me that it looked "lucky" ( his word for "yucky", and as it happens here, the perfect pun- which of course cracked me and my simple little mind up) didn't sway me from insisting he eat at least three bites of dinner, he brought out that little gem.

"People who get hurt all over their body don't have to eat their dinner."


written by: Sheen

4 comments:

Amy Jenks said...

He's so SMART! I love it - well, not the part where he got hurt. I love that he was being such a big helper!

Amiee said...

haha i can't wait to come see you guys and all your adorableness!!

Camas said...

That is so funny. Of course you would serve them Leprechaun poop for dinner...makes sense!

Royce said...

That Roman is a quick thinker!! Besides the wise thought about supper for the wounded, how else could you be tall enough to shake a rug, except 4 feet up!!