Friday, December 14, 2007

Mother Nature's Fury: The Beauty and Devastation

A few days ago we had our first ice storm this winter. It was terrible to drive in, they canceled school for two days. When you're driving in an ice storm, the ice lands on the windshield and freezes there. Visibility is almost nil. Roads are layered in ice. Power lines are encased in ice. Trees are encased. Everything is. Power lines, weighed down by the ice, fall and sometimes break, causing power outages all over. Tree limbs snap like toothpicks. Just google ice storm in an image search and you'll come up with some crazy pictures.


This picture I believe was taken somewhere in the Netherlands in some crazy ice storm- it's not quite this bad in the Midwest.

Here's a sampling for your enjoyment- some pics I took in my yard. Some of them decry the destruction of the storm, others highlight the fragility of life. Small leaves and berries gently encased in ice, seem to be protected by Mother Nature rather than punished.

1 comments:

Melody said...

Wow,
THese pictures are gorgeous! I lost all the photos that I took of the ice storm I experienced in Kville. Lucky for me, you took better ones! How in the world did you do this awesome slide show in your blog space??
(PS don't answer here, I will probably not look back here for the answer.) no offense. :)